Audrey Layne Jeffers
Born 12 February 1898
Born in Woodbrook, Port of Spain
Died 24 June 1968
Attended Tranquillity Girls School where she gained a diploma in Social Science at Alexander College, North London.
Involved in founding the Union of Students of African Descent, which is now known as the League of Coloured Peoples.
After the outbreak of the First World War she worked among West African troops and set up a West African soldiers' fund, mobilising financial contributions from fellow West Indians.
she established the Coterie of Social Workers in 1921, which provided free lunches to poor school children.
The first "Breakfast Shed" was established in Port of Spain in 1926, providing hungry school children with a daily meal, the first was at Warner Street in Newtown which became known as a Breakfast Shed.
Edward Street became the main Breakfast Centre and supplied the other branches which were set up in Barataria, San Fernando, Siparia and Tobago.
She also played the major and pivotal roles in the setting up of a Workingmen’s’ dining shed on South Quay and St May's home in 1928.
Represented Trinidad and Tobago in London at the National Council of Women of the Empire.
She extended her concern to the needs of the aged, the blind, young working women, and families in distress with babies in need of day care.
The Cipriani House in John John was established, followed by others including hostels for young working women.
In 1936, she became the first woman elected to the Port of Spain City Council.
In 1941 she was appointed to the voting Franchise Commission.
In 1946,she was appointed to the Legislative Council by Governor Sir Bede Clifford.
In 1947 she was again in the national forefront, this time on the Constitutional Reform Committee.
She served as our honorary Consul for Liberia
She was made an Officer of the Order of the British Empire in 1959. In 1969 she was posthumously awarded the Chaconia Gold Medal for Social Service.
The Foreshore/Mucurapo Highway (Audrey Jeffers Highway) as well as the Audrey Jeffers School for the Deaf in San Fernando were both named in her honour.
In 1969 she was posthumously awarded the Chaconia Gold Medal for Social Service.